The Center for Nanoscale Science, in support of STEM on Stage and producer Jen Myronuk, invites you joina new public history initiative to host a digital theater screening presentation of Humanity Needs Dreamers: A Visit With Marie Curie.
REQUEST: Seeking a limited number of host organizations & venues for free community preview screenings during November 2019 and December 2019.
- Screening & Event Requirements
- About Humanity Needs Dreamers
- What is Digital Theater?
- Digital Speaking Tour
TO APPLY FOR A SCREENING: Fill out the following sign-up form > https://airtable.com/shronhhVUak9hI32P
SCREENING REQUIREMENTS: BRINGING DIGITAL THEATER TO YOUR COMMUNITY
(See full instructions within this PDF.)
- Since this is not a tradition film, a successful event includes creating a “theater-like” environment in a quiet venue that can get dark or relatively dark with no competing noise. A quiet, dedicated venue space that holds a minimum of 20 to a maximum of 300-400.
- A room or venue with a projector system and a single screen (no double screens). Recommended as a minimum of 4’ x 6’ and a maximum of 50’. The screening can also work on a large screen TV of 40” or higher but it’s preferable to be projected on a screen.
- The venue/room that is able to get dark or almost dark with theater-style seating - can be any venue or room with theater style seating.
- Audio system/speakers with no competing noise from nearby events or conversations
- A laptop with wifi connection for streaming the video, HDMI preferred.
- A host to read the welcome script to introduce Marie Curie & the digital theater presentation and facilitate the post-screening discussion/Q & A.
- An RSVP system or an email for folks to RSVP to with their name & email. We would like to have the event host send out a post-event survey plus add’l resources.
ABOUT THE FILM: As one of the world’s most renowned scientists, two-time Nobel Prize winner Marie Skłodowska Curie is best known for pioneering the field of radioactivity — including early experiments to treat cancer with radium therapy — but few understand the obstacles she faced just to enter the laboratory.
What if she could tell her story?
HUMANITY NEEDS DREAMERS: A VISIT WITH MARIE CURIE invites audiences to meet Marie Curie as she recollects her quest to isolate two elements — polonium and radium. From her childhood in Poland to groundbreaking research in France, Marie Curie shares the struggles, failures and triumphs behind her scientific discoveries and remarkable collaboration with companion scientist & husband Pierre Curie.
Masterfully portrayed by living history scholar and Storysmith® Susan Marie Frontczak, HUMANITY NEEDS DREAMERS (40 mins) is the cinematic version of the acclaimed one-woman theatrical show. As an immersive living history film, this unique format breaks the digital fourth wall between live theater and cinema.
Sponsored by The Center for Nanoscale Science, a Materials Research Science and Engineering Center (MRSEC) supported by the National Science Foundation under grant DMR-1420620.
For more information, please email:
Kristin A. Dreyer (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Program Director for Education & Outreach
Penn State MRSEC - Center for Nanoscale Science